Friday, May 22, 2015

St Louis results

My visit with Dr Van Tine in St Louis went well.  He was enthusiast about my participation in this study and the wheels are now turning to get me entirely in.  We discussed this study and other possibilities.  The staff was great and the office was efficient.  
This is a small study with less than 100 participants in the nation and only 40 at this facility.  It opened only 2 weeks ago and I was lucky to get in.  It was incredible timing for Highland to call during the tiny window for registering.  Dr Van Tine said a slot was reserved for me when Highland called and this was one of th last slots.  He also spoke of the telephone conversation with Dr Iyre.    Dr Van Time was impressed with Dr Iyre and  said Dr Iyes cared a great about my case.   It is always good to hear that people care.
During my visit I had blood work taken, a fresh CT scan, and a fresh EKG.  It was all in the same building but on different floors.  Barnes Jewish Hospital is affiliated with Washington University School of Medicine.  The campus of building is huge and beautiful.  It is away from downtown and you see it was from several miles away.  I was surprised by the ease of driving to the building which I needed.  We used the valet parking, which was a mild disappointment because if you don't tip they point the AC vents at the drivers face and adjust it to blow on high.  This was not a good surprise.  Not harmful but annoying.  
Back to the treatment.  If my tests are ok I am deemed worthy then I am in.  I hope to know soon.  My next appointment  is June 3rd.  This will include more examination and probably a few (4-5) needle biopsies from my lungs.  The exact method will be determined by a thoracic surgeon.  Dr Van Tine said this is normally a outpatient procedure but could be an overnight stay.  This is for a pre-treatment sample.  Another biopsy is needed every few months.  Treatments for this study are once every 3 weeks.  The treatment is done via IV with nearly the same pre and post procedures as in Houston.  I am excited about driving to St Louis once every 3 weeks as opposed to Houston every week.  That's as much as I know.
What now.  It's time for a real vacation.  I am planning with April and Terah to take a trip next week.  I want a beech with clear water and which accessible to a guy with one leg.  I also want it be somewhere I've not been before but I am limited to the U.S.  I am looking at Florida, Virgin Islands, the Keys, etc.  Much depends of when Tersh can take off.  I am looking forward to this.  I am open to suggestions.
It is Friday and I am nearly home from the drive to St Louis.
Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment