Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The return of Chemo


My first chemo treatment since losing my leg started Wednesday, September 17 and ended the 19.  It was horrible.  It started with about 3.5 liters of fluid and medicine via IV.  Then they attached a small pump of medicine which I kept for 48 hours.  That red Medicine did terrible things to me.  The nurse who attached it dressed in FULL protective gear .   This included a face shield, head to toe coverage, and double layer gloves.  Her instructions to April included "if this leaks do not get it on you. It will be like a brown recluse bite."  Holy Cow !!!  They are injecting this into me.  I believe the goal of the medicine was to scald the interior of my blood vessels of anything living or free floating.  I believe it did it.
The next several days were rough.  The chemo started at 4 PM on Wednesday.  I awoke on Thursday to a Ievel of nausea which I've never had before.  I had pills for it but the barely helped.  I could only eat soup and crackers Thursday Friday and Saturday.  On top of the nausea was my working hard to fight the chemo.  While it was scalding out the lining of my blood vessels my body was trying to rebuild itself.  This took a lot of energy, but i was not eating, so my body was pulling from all its reserves.  I lost 10 pounds in those 4 days.  With all my energy going to that I had no energy for moving to the couch, or eating, or having intelligent conversations.  It was Sunday before I could eat a normal meal.  I made it to work on Thursday morning, but I left early.  After that I was down until the following Tuesday.  I did get out with April and my dad for small trips to town, but that was it.  I hope the next round is less dreadful.

No comments:

Post a Comment