Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Walking again.

Snell laboratories in Fayetteville has the best staff I have ever worked with.  I went in with an impossible goal and they enabled me to achieve it.
I lost my leg on August 11 and they removed a chunk of lung on August 25.  Losing my leg was terrible, but the pain with the lung surgery was much much worse.  I could barely role over in bed for days after the lung work.  I ask all the doctors about walking and they said 'maybe in 3-6 months'.  I was dischared from the lung surgery on August 28, which gave me 37 days before Terah's wedding.  I returned to work on September 2 and my first appointment with Snell was about then. 
Randy at Snell worked with me nearly every workday in September.  I went in for 1 or 2 hours each time.  He assembled a temporary leg from parts in their work room and began fitting my stump for a socket.  I used the 'test' socked to practice walking in all my visits and he had a road-worthy socked ready on October 1, which was 3 days before Terah's wedding.  I used the test socket for about 15 hours of practice and then I wore my permanent socket for about 22 hours over 3 days (about 6 hours of actual walking).  Then it was show time.
I walked.  I was able to walk down the isle with Terah while using one crutch.  It was not perfect, but it was perfect for me.  Terah became engaged last fall, which was before my cancer stuff started.  I was diagnosed with cancer and Terah offered to postpone, but I said 'no'.  Then they removed my leg and she offered to postpone, but I said 'no'.  I promised to walk down the isle on October 4 and I did it.  It was probably the hardest thing I've ever done, but Terah's smile was worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment