Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Initial appointments done in Houston

My first appointments at Houston Methodist are done.  I met Catherine, the nurse who's helped me that past several weeks, and she was as helpful in person as over the telephone.  We discussed the study and the yet unnamed drug and its possible side affects.  I also met Dr Iyre, who heads this study at Houston Methodist.  He's also very nice and seems competent.  I know 'competent' does not sound like a ringing endorsement, but please remember my position.  This is not the first doctor who 'maybe' has a treatment.  I have a lot riding on this.  My next appointments are Friday.  I get a EKG and a fresh CT scan.  I am in the study as long as my heart if healthy.

My first treatment is Monday morning.  I must be at the hospital for most of the day.  The treatment is intravenous and takes about 3 hours.  Add time for more tests, lunch, more observations and then I'm done.  I expect to be bored.  This is followed by more tests and observations on Tuesday and Thursday.

You may read more here:
https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01292655

Houston itself is exactly as I remember.  Everything is at least an hour away, the speed limit is what's posted plus 75%, there are no straight roads, and there are no roads not under reconstruction or needing reconstruction.  At least it's February and not 132 degrees.

Now it's 9:30pm and I'm tired.  Tomorrow we visit one of April's friends.  Then more hospital stuff on Friday.

More later.

1 comment: