Sunday, April 19, 2015

Another Sunday morning in Houston

Sunday morning. This is the week of truth.  At 10:30 tomorrow (Monday) I get a fresh detailed CT scan for my cancer.  This is a comparative scan against the CT scan from 2 months ago.  This will tell us if this treatment is working or not.  The appointment to discuss the results is at 2:00, which could be 3:00 since this is a doctors appointment.  The time between the scan and the appointments will be a looooong few hours.  For now I am eating breakfast in the Hampton Inn with my mother.
That brings me to this trip.  April, my mom, and I drove here yesterday.  It was a typical 10 hour drive and we arrived about 7pm.  My sister flies here tonight and we get together for the appointments in the morning.  We did see a few things during the drive.
   1: We hit a traffic jam as we approached Dallas.  The cause was a car/SUV which appeared to have hit head-on with a concrete barrier.  The was a messed up car.
   2: We drove another few miles when I noticed a policeman acting strangely on the side of the highway.  My first thought was it was because of the accident we passed 5 minutes before.  The next exit had a sheriff preparing spike strips.  Then another sheriff races passed us and stopped on the side of the highway to lay more spike strips.  We are still cruising down the road at 65 mph.  Now I see the police lights a mile behind us.  5-6 police are chasing a dark red sedan.  We slowed and pulled to the right as they passed us.  The sedan has 2 blown tires and the chase was moving about 40 mph.  We start our drive again and found them all stopped about 3 miles later.  It's noteworthy that this was my seconds such involvement in a police chase.  That is another story.
   3:  Another 10 miles later we pass another crash in the north bound lanes.  It involved several vehicles.  It appeared that someone cut in to the HOV lane without looking and was hit by another car.  I saw at least 3 mangled vehicles.
   4:  Another 10 miles down the road we see a car engulfed in flames in the north lanes..  2 fire trucks are there beginning to extinguish the fire.
This was all within about 20 miles.  Our drive was smooth after that.
I have finished my breakfast and I am 24 hours from my scans.  Today we go to a play with Denice and Charlette which should be fun.  At the very least it is a wonderful distraction.  Otherwise I will stare at the wall and ponder everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment