Thursday, September 4, 2014

Getting back on the chemo train

We met with Dr Travis yesterday and I now have my schedule for the next few months.  I start a new round of chemo on September 17th.  This chemo is delivered over 3 days via a small pump which I keep with me.  This chemical is harder on my veins and heart muscle, but it's easier on my body as a whole.  Perhaps some nausea, but that's all.  I repeat the process on October 8th and maybe a third time in November.  Hopefully that gets everything.  We ask Dr Travis about the certainty of this treatment and he referred to it as a 'leap of faith'.  He also said that without the treatment that the cancer would return, so we go with the treatment.  Today I get an echocardiogram to check my heart for defects.  This is preventative because the treatments affect on my heart.  Next week I go to the Walker Heart Institute to install a 'pick' line for the medicine delivery.
On a happier note I am really looking forward to camping this fall.  I missed the chance to go last spring and summer.  I enjoy setting around the camp fire with friends and family.  All I do is stare at the fire and gather wood for more fire.  It is very restful.  I have a few friends lined up to go with me.  Time can't pass fast enough. 
The pain-of-the-day is muscle spasms.  My stump changes daily.  As muscles and nerves heal in my stump the combination of signals to my brain changes.  The signals are interpreted as if I have a leg, which I don't, so they feel like something different every day.  Today it's muscle spasms.  It starts whenever I'm seated for any length of time and lasts until they're done.  Yesterday's pain was cramping.
Lastly I want to thank everyone who has brought food for the meal train.  April and I appreciate it and I enjoy seeing the smiling faces.  We live away from town and finding our home can be an adventure.  I Thank you, Anastasia, Mitchell, Bonnie, and Bobbi and Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment