Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Starting my new chemo therapy

The sage Don Henley sang "Kick 'em when they're up, Kick 'em when they're down, Kick 'em when they're up, Kick 'em when they're down, Kick 'em when they're up, Kick 'em when they're down, Kick 'em when they're up, Kick 'em all around"
Last Saturday was a beautiful day.  Dad and I added decking to the platform which holds our hot tub.  Now I can safely maneuver myself as I get in and out.  I also filled the tub and turned it on, since I emptied it before my surgeries.  It was warm by mid Sunday and I climbed in Sunday night.  I can not describe the relief the hot tub gives me.  A hot bath has been one of the few consistent pain and stress relievers at my disposal.  Thank you, everyone, who made this possible.
Sunday was an inside day for me.  I spent Sunday on the couch or in my chair, except for the short time in the tub which was just before bed. Monday was a good. I worked and ate lunch with my friends. Tuesday was was nice, but I did get 'pick' line installed. The 'pick' line is a fancy semi-permanent IV which is inserted in to my upper arm. It enters the main vein there and then travels to within about 2 inches of my heart. This is for my chemo, which I am doing as I type this. This bring me to today.
I am sitting in a recliner at Highland Oncology and receiving my latest cocktail of chemo therapy drugs. These are supposed to be better than the last round, which was before my surgeries. This cocktail is based on the pathology from the tumor they removed from my leg. Hopefully this chemo treatment and the next will eradicate any stray cancer cells lurking in my body. Dr Travis referred to it as a 'leap of faith.' I am leaping.
My overall state is tired. I slept an extra hour on Tuesday and still barely gathered the energy to go to work. I am glad I did because my friends energize and inspire me. They are great people. Today (Wednesday) I woke up tired and went back to bed. I woke up again and could not get moving so I emailed work and then stayed home. It was too hard to do anything. I suspect my mood and energy level are affected by the Gabapenton, which is the medicine I take for the pain in my phantom leg. It mostly helps that but has side affects which can ruin my day. It may be tiredness or irrational emotions or fatigue or all of these. darn.
About the Gabapenton. We ask the nurse and she spoke to the doctor about it's side affects. They offered to switch me to Lyrica. I call CVS and they said it's basically $1 per pill, which is a lot more than the Gabapenton. If the side affects disappear then it's worth it. I must slowly come off the Gabapenton before I can start the Lyrica, which makes first dose Sunday or Monday. We'll see what happens.
That's all for now. I continue to appreciate everyone's support. I am surrounded my very special people. I cannot describe how much everyone means to me. My current team. My previous team. My teams from years ago. I can feel your thoughts and prayers lifting me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment