Friday, September 12, 2014

Life is a roller coaster

I have had a roller coaster 3 days. It started when Dr Montgomery raised the dosage of my medication.  I took the first larger dosage on Tuesday afternoon and then again on Tuesday night. I woke up Wednesday morning, went to work and everything went well but I was tired.  I took another dose at lunch and became extremely tired. By the time I left work I had a hard time thinking.  During the drive home I saw a car accident (I was not involved) and I became a little emotional about it but not too bad. When I got home and began talking to April I became very emotional.  Just as I did last week when the medication took control. I sobbed for several hours and April comforted me.  I have a love/hate relationship with that medicine.  I need it so my phantom leg is tolerable, but I am sensitive to dosage changes.  April spoke to the doctor on-call and we devised a new dose.  As of Thursday morning I am me again...again.
Thursday was a very good day.  Wednesday and Thursday were spent in a class at the corporate campus.  While there I visited with some dear friends.  I even learned a few things in the class.   My good Thursday started when Dale, another person in the class, said he had extra tickets to the Jake Owens concert which is Thursday night!  I snatched them from Dale and I told April the good news.  Now that I have plans I must get forearm crutches.  The wheelchair will be too difficult to maneuver in the AMP arena.
My adventure to find crutches start at Snell's, the prosthetics place.  They do not have crutches.  I call Colliers by the hospital and they do not.  I call Colliers on Dickson.  They have one pair, so off I go.  I find their crutches and go to the counter.  The young lady tells me they can nit process crutches on a prescription, which I have.  They cost almost $70 each so I skip them.  The young lady suggests a medical supply place on Market St.  I call them and they do have crutches so I'm off again.  I'm almost there when they call me and say 'sorry, they're actually out.'  Darn.  While we're still on the phone a person in the background finds their last pair.  I finish my journey and get the crutches.  Whoopee!
The concert included The Cadillac 3, The Eli Young Band, and then Jake Owens.  Music started at 7, Jake started a little after 9, and it lasted until after 11.  April and I left about 10:30 so I could get out more easily.  We had a great time and we saw other people I knew.  The opposite of the night before.
Forearm crutches are more difficult then I thought they would be.  It requires shoulder and back muscles which I have not used in a while.  I'll get used to it, but it may take a while.
Friday I use the wheelchair at work because I am too tired after the late Thursday night.  Work goes well and I leave about 2:30 because my phantom leg becomes very twitchy.  Imagine if your leg began cramping in random muscles from your toes to your thigh.  it like that but there is no leg and you can't do anything about it.  It's extremely uncomfortable to say the least.
Now I am home with April.  She does not feel well, so I'll be caring for her a bit.  This will be a challenge on one leg, but I'll my best.  She's been caring for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment