Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Another good day

It's now Wednesday.  56 hours ago I had two legs and two knees and two feet.  Now I have 1 of each.  It is an incredibly strange sensation to litterally know that I have two legs, but still know that I don't.  I can still feel it hanging there and if my eyes are closed I believe I can reach over and touch it.  It is more bizarre than I can describe, but each day is a little easier.  Thanks to the internet I read of techniques for aleviating the sensations and the doctors are giving some medicine which is supposed to help. 
Each day is better than the one before.   I can now get out of bed on my own.  As I write this I am up in a seated position without a back rest.  I recently left the bed and went to the rest room completely independantly.  No one told me that I can't do that so I did it.
Here's is what's coming.  The hospital and insurence are negotaiting about tomorrow.  I may be transferred to Baptist Medical for a few days of rehabilitation.  I'm told they have offices and a gas station and a grocery store for people to test their ability.  It's still a hospital type facility so I have a room and nurses, but it's all about the rehab.  I'm looking forward to it a little.  I expect to be there 3-4 days if everything is approved.
The next big thing is August 25.  The thoracic surgeon is scheduled to remove the spot on my lung on August 25.  This means I go to rehab until Sunday or Monday or Tuesday then I go home.  Then I return to Little Rock the following Sunday for another early Monday surgery.  That will keep me in UAMS for another 3-4, but no rehab is expected.  The surgeon expects it to be done with cameras and small holes.  I should OK as long as they do not open me because I can keep my upper body strength, which is important when you are missing a leg. 
The next thing is removing the staples from my leg.  That is about 3 weeks from the amputation which is early September.  That can be done in NW Arkansas with local doctors.
September will also include discussions about my new leg.
That's all I have for now.  I cannot share enough 'thank you's for everyone around me.
I will see you soon.  :)

2 comments:

  1. " No one told me that I can't do that so I did it." I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs a leg when you've got the spirit of life, love, and family in your heart. Oh, and Nutter Butters... gotta have those. You're doing better than I think most people would, and I'm inspired by your will and motivation to persevere. I figure if you can whip SolMans ass,... why, this has got to just be kids play to you!

    ReplyDelete