Thursday, August 14, 2014

Now at Baptist

I am now at the Baptist Rehabilitation facility.  I've seen the lobby, an elevator, a hallway, and my room.  It's an older building, but the equipment appears up-to-date.  I've visited with two doctors, several nurses, and several others.  Everyone is nice.
The hardest part so far is the new rules.  I had a walker and free mobility at UAMS.  Here I must page the nurse and be wheeled on a hand made PVC toilet to go to the bathroom.  This is because I've not been officially evaluated by the physical therapist, which is in the morning.  It is certainly not convenient, but rules are rules.  I feel a little sorry for the nurses, because they can see my mobility, but rules are rules.  Darn.
Sometime after breakfast is my first physical therapy and ocupational therapy.  Part of this is the evaluation.  Then lunch and more therapy.  I do not know what to expect.

Here is a sad/funny story.  I know some of you can relate.  I am wheeled in to the front lobby where I sign my admitance papers.  Halfway through I ask the young woman "how much is this?".  She responds with "it's filed with your insurance."   "Ok, but how much does this cost?"  "I don't know.  I'll get someone."  She leaves the area and a minute later she returns and says someone else will help me with an estimate.  Another woman appears with a hand written note which explains my insurance benefits, such as deductible, out of pocket, etc.  I say "what's this?"  She says "this is your estimate."  "No, these are my benefits"  "so, Mr. Brewer, what do you want to know? "  "I want to know how much this place costs."  "Oh, hold on."  Then she leaves and I wait a minute more.  Now a third woman (in a suit) appears "How may I help you, Mr. Brewer?"  "I want to know how much this place costs."  "It depends of what happens and it does not include the doctors." "I get that. How much is this per day?"  "It's $1500 per day but you have good insurance."  "Thank you."  The conversation continued about some details, but this is essentially the end.
I see this as the major problem with modern health care.  Hospitals, doctors, suppliers, etc can not give you a straight answer about the costs.  Everything is tossed into a black box and then you get what you get.  I had this same experience in Springdale about a sleep study and in Fayetteville about an MRI.

Now it's bed time.  Thank you for reading.  More tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Now that I work for a health care/insurance company (marshfieldclinic.org) I have a better appreciation for why this is the way it is. When you ask, "How much is this," the answer is invariably, "It depends."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it was frustrating being held back from doing something that you know were capable of doing. Hang in there. I bet you excel when the rehab starts. I share your frustration with being able to obtain a basic healthcare estimate.

    ReplyDelete