Sunday, August 24, 2014

Yet another 'night before'

I am 9-ish hours from my next surgery.  Hopefully this is my last surgery for a long long long time.  We are settled in the hotel and I am as ready as possible.  Today was not an uneventful day in itself.

The pucker event:  April was driving us south on I49.  It was clear skies and sunshine and we were passed the Arkanchunnel.  We were cruising at about 75 in the right lane with people behind us and also in the left lane next to us.  We quickly approached a line of stopped vehicles on the right shoulder.  April began counting the RV's and trailers as we passed. One...Two...Three...Four...Five...Six...Holy Crap!!!  April hits the breaks HARD and the tires begin to scream on the asphalt.  I feel the car begin to float on the road because we are losing traction but April maintains control. The MORON in the front of the train of stopped RVs decided it was time to go!  He, from a dead stop, pulled out into traffic!!!  April took us from 75 to 20 in about 100 feet without losing control or hitting another car.  She litterally saved us.  If the driver of the red truck reads this I want to say "You are a MORON!"  I will leave it at that.

The uplifting event:  April had to pull over about 2 miles down the road and we decided to stop in Rudy to change drivers.  We stopped at the big station there and as we were leaving I hear "Hey, Damon!"  Brian Thompson, a long time friend from work, is calling my name.  This was a wonderful coincidence!  He said he was following the blog and then we talked for several minutes about everything.  This inspires me.  I had no idea so many were following this and I promise to continue.  This is for you.

The Funny event:  We get to Little Rock and meet Terah and Patrick.  We decide to eat at Macaroni Grill which I really like. This Macaroni Grill has a 20ft ramp inside from the front door to the middle of the room.  We eat a great meal and I ask Terah to help me up the ramp as we leave.  Of course she says "yes".  As she pushes me up the ramp I begin dragging my foot.  The harder she pushes the harder I press the floor.   I press so hard that my shoe is chirping up the smooth concrete floor.  To her credit she got me to the top.  She could have been pushing a small car up that incline.  All I hear is how hard that was and she had no idea it was like that.  I tell April what I did and she explodes in laughter.  Terah gets in the car, wondering what is so very funny and we tell her.  Everyone laughs but her.  Then she laughs too.  Terah is the best daughter anyone could ask for.

Good night, everyone.  You'll hear from me tomorrow.

2 comments: