Saturday, August 16, 2014

Friday was a big day

Friday was my first full day at Baptist and it was a good day.  I met doctors, nurses, therapist, and more, learned the layout of my area, and got to do stuff.  It took only a few minutes for me to have a walker and wheel chair granted to me.  I now have freedom to explore the facility and take care of myself. 
There were two therapy sessions on Friday.  These included several laps around the session tables to test my endurance and some strength training in a small weight room.  The physical therapist showed me some excersises and taught me the importance of my 'stump' condition.  It is critical that I strengthen and maintain the muscles around the stump, especially my glut (butt) muscles.  A normal leg has a long femur for leverage and gravity assistance to keep your leg pointed down and alligned with your spine.  I don't have that so I must foucus on those exercise.  The straightness my leg will directly relate to my ability to use a prostetic.  I must thank Mason at the Fayetteville Athletic Center.  I attended his Body Pump class for the year before this started.  It prepared me both physically and mentally for the excersise which is now required.
Saturday and Sunday are semi-off days for the facility.  Most patients rest and the staff get to take days off.   I missed the weeks normal activites since I arrived on Thursday evening.  I am assured by the staff that these days will not be lost.  I still have two sessions scheduled for today and I can explorer the facility, which I will count as excersise.  They've not said this, but I need to drop about 25 pounds from my torso.  That would make things much easier.
What's coming.  Dr. Kiser is the chief doctor here.  I've spoken to him each day and I explained my personal goals and he is working with me to achieve them.  If all goes well then I expect to get a stump-shrinker early next week and then dischareged Tuesday or Wednesday.  The stump-shrinker is a fancy spandex sock to cover my stump.  It helps with swelling and begins the forming process for the furture prostetic.  It is an important next step.
I started my laundry earlier and now I must check it.  Then I'll have a clean shirt and I begin my exploration.
More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment