Saturday, August 16, 2014

An epiphany

I had a small epiphany this morning.
I awoke about 2am and lie in bed.  My leg throbbed and burned because it was time for my pain medicine.  I adjusted my position which helped a small amount and then I paged the nurse.  While I waited I pondered about the pain and what to do about it.  I slowly realized after several minutes the my leg did hurt, but I did not.  My leg has hurt for months from the cancer, but I did not.  I've injured my body several times in the past, but I was not injured.
The epiphany is that my body is and has always been a tool which I use.  The deeper I, which you can call my soul or my ID or my spirit, is not hurt or injured at all.  I will fix my body and continue to use it for many, many years and I will accomplish many, many things.  However, when I look in the mirror I will never see a broken person because I am not injured.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear you say that. After my motorcycle accident which left me partially paralyzed. I focused on the pain and the negative things to which it caused. My leg was and still is so messed up that I concentrated so much of my energy on what and why that I failed to see what you just stated for about 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you daddy! You really are the biggest role model in my life!
    -Your Little Girl, Terah <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a great role model Terah. Not just for you but for all of us. He's quite a man, that daddy of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a moving and powerful statement. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete