Wednesday, August 20, 2014

It's Go-Home Day!

My stump-shrinker is on my leg.  I have my equipment; wheel chair, walker, and shower chair.  My hemoglobin count is 9.6, which is up from 8 when I arrived.  I am ready to go home! 
The Baptist Rehabilitation facility gave me a great experience.  I had many doubts about coming here.  It was highly recommended by the staff at UAMS, but I knew nothing about  the facility.  While at UAMS I felt good, but I was very sore.  I could stand and use a walker.  I dressed myself, cleaned myself, and used the bathroom by myself.  It required a lot of effort, but I could do it.
My decision to come to Baptist Rehabilitation came from many things; it was highly recommended by UAMS, everything I could already do required too much effort, my wife (April) was very worried about me coming straight home, I had was barely healed, and everything still hurt a lot.
Baptist did not disappoint me.  The facility and staff only exceeded any expectation.  While here I learned about the care and maintenance of my stump.  It gave me more oppertunity to heal and gain mobility in a safe and controlled environment.  The meals here and at UAMS were good.  Physically and emotionally I feel much better and I give cerdit for that to Baptist.  I am much more prepared to enter the world.
I am terrible with names, so there's no way I can mention everyone which helped my.  I've mentioned a few people, but everyone has been supportive, understanding, cheerful, and knowledgeable.  I have 0 complaints and I will recommend this experience to others.
The doctors visited with me this morning and I am essentially ready to go.  I have therapy scheduled for this morning, but I don't know how much I'll actually do.  I expect my papers to be finished this morning and to leave around lunch time.
Thank you to everyone at Baptist.  I am as ready as possible to go home and then for my next surgery.

1 comment: