Sunday, August 31, 2014

It's not all sunny skies

The past 3 days have been long, stressful, painful, and almost completely not pleasant.  April said I finally 'broke'.  I say I suffered from a biochemical imbalance.  In either case it was not fun.
Everything started on Tuesday when I was still in the hospital.  I was far weaker after the lung surgery than after the leg surgery.  I could barely breathe and therefore barely do anything else.  I think this started a chain reaction which deeply bruised my self-confidence.  The lost confidence degraded my ability to handle pain, which lowered my ability to do things, and repeat.  When I left the hospital on Wednesday my self-confidence was about 30% of normal.  Between my leg, both real and phantom, and my back the pain levels were pretty high and my pain tolerance was pretty low. 
April and I stayed in Little Rock that night.  I had left over pain pills so I did not get the new prescription filled.  This was a mistake.  I could not roll over because of the pain in my back.  I was constipated and I think this was pressing on my sciatic nerve, which caused more leg pain and some general discomfort.  I pressed on until the pain was more than I could take then we found a 24-hour Walgreens.  During all this I took extra gabapentin which is supposed to help with the phantom pains.
Thursday we met Chris for lunch and drove home.  The whole day was spent trying to control the pain.  I took oxycodone, gabapentin, ibuprophen.  Everything helped a little, but nothing stopped it.   It's important to know that I had several distinct pains to deal with.  Each pain with its own medicine and its own lifecycle.
When we got home I was tired and grumpy and more tired and more grumpy.  By bedtime I've taken a lot of medicines, probably too much.  April and I go to bed and after a short conversation I emotionally explode about everything.  I spend most of the next 30 hours crying about things.  Everything is emotionally magnified and traumatic to me.  I cried because Loki (our little dog) was my friend.  I cried because Coacoa (our cat) was my friend.  I cried about everything.  Poor April was trying her best to console the inconsolable.  This was my world all day Friday too.
Saturday started about the same. It was a little better, but not much.  April contacts the doctor on-call for Dr Kiser, who proscribed the gabapentin.  We contact Dr Means and he says to change the dosage.  I think I overtook the gabapentin on Wedneday-Thursday.   It works on your nerves abd a side affect is depression.
I felt better by Saturday afternoon.  Terah visited and brought etoufee for lunch, which was yummy.  She also helped me prepare the hot tub for water.  Then we went to my dad's and ate BBQ ribs, which was super yummy.  Then I fell asleep in their living room.  We went home and I went to bed.  April woke me up at 7:30pm and I ate a sandwhich and I went back to bed.  I slept most of the night.
Now it's Sunday.  My leg is still soar, I feel much more like me.  I will watch my medicines more closely and my journey continues.

1 comment:

  1. Its a bitch what you are going thru... Keep going like your going... You will be fine... Your a strong man with a great supportive family... Sending my thoughts a prayers...

    ReplyDelete